Building and construction projects can give rise to countless challenges. As well as commercial imperatives, there are significant regulatory, political and environmental issues to be considered. With all the risks involved, Gadens’ building and construction team brings clarity and sound commercial thinking to all stages of a project.
Decades of industry experience
Backed by decades of experience, our team’s expertise includes partners recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific 2011 as some of Australia’s leading construction lawyers. Our team focuses on innovative strategies to meet the varied demands of building and construction projects. We take care to establish our clients’ needs from the outset, and pay attention to the details through to project completion.
Businesses including Serco, Boral, GPT, Mirvac, AMP, CSR and Stockland benefit from our advice on all aspects of their projects, from pre-contract, project delivery methods, project finance, procurement, drafting standard and bespoke construction contracts, to contract administration and interpretation.
Added to this is our substantial expertise in construction related disputes. We act in litigation and advise on all alternative dispute resolution processes and claims under Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act and the Contractors Debt Act. Two of our partners are IAMA accredited adjudicators and we have represented clients in over 60 adjudications in New South Wales.
With the focus on green-friendly construction, we also offer special skills in drafting and structuring project agreements which deal with the intricacies of clean energy legislation and achieving Green Star and NABERS ratings. Our lawyers were among the first in the legal industry to attend the Green Building Council of Australia’s Green Star Accredited Professional Course. We also have considerable expertise in the application of the National Greenhouse & Energy Reporting Act.
- AMP: re-drafting a suite of pro forma construction documents including design and construct contracts and consultancy agreements (short and long form), representing AMP to its upgrade of NAB House and the redevelopment of the Dapto Shopping Centre, Mt Ommaney Shopping Centre, Macquarie Centre and Warringah Mall.
- Stockland: drafting construction agreements, supply agreements and consultancy agreements for projects including the Prince Henry Hospital, an industrial site in Wetherill Park and the Edmund Barton building in Canberra.
- CSR: representing CSR in the upgrade of its Yarraville project in Victoria, a proposed ethanol project in Moree, its relocation to North Ryde and development projects at Erskine Park.
- GPT: rocumenting agreement for lease and construction procurement for Connect @ Erskine Park including a liquid groceries facility leased to Goodman Fielder and a cold storage facility for Versacold, and preparing a design and construct contract and related documents for the construction of the Wollongong Central shopping centre.
- Premier Media Group: acting for Premier Media Group in all aspects of its relocation of the Fox Sports studios to the Gore Hill Technology Park.
- Serco: representing Serco in its bid for the Sydney Metro project, the SA prisons project and the NSW Integrated Transport Information Services Project, including preparation and negotiation of project documents, and acting for Serco in relation to the Fiona Stanley Hospital project in WA and the Christmas Island Detention Centre project.
- Harvey Norman: advising Harvey Norman on the construction of its 71,000 sqm Springvale development with IKEA, which is the largest bulky goods facility in Australia.
- GrainCorp: representing GrainCorp in a number of grain storage facility and transportation infrastructure upgrade projects in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria, including construction of container facilities and grain transportation facilities at Cooks River, New South Wales.
- Landis + Gyr: representing Landis + Gyr in relation to supply agreements for the provision of gas regulators and Advanced Metering Infrastructure in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.
- Baulderstone Hornibrook: representing Baulderstone Hornibrook in a multi-million dollar claim against an insurer involving alleged negligent design of the second runway at Sydney Airport
- CSR: representing CSR in large scale litigation against concrete suppliers and insurers arising out of the construction of Horizons complex in East Sydney and in a large scale arbitration.
- Department of Commerce: representing the Department in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the Court of Appeal in challenging an adjudication determination arising out of the Concord Hospital Redevelopment Project.
- GHD: representing GHD in various disputes emerging from the Parramatta Rail Link Project.
- VDM Group: acting for VDM Group in proceedings arising out of the design and construction of a sheltered quay in Darling Harbour for the Australian National Maritime Museum.
- Stockland: representing Stockland in several matters in the Supreme Court of New South Wales.