Karen practises in the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group and has specialist expertise in the area of dispute resolution, insolvency and reconstruction law.
Karen advises a wide variety of corporate entities and insolvency practitioners on commercial disputes with an emphasis on corporate and personal insolvency, recovery and corporate reconstruction. Karen has advised and acted on behalf of creditors, liquidators, administrators and receivers in relation to a diverse range of insolvency issues, including voluntary administrations, deeds of company arrangements, liquidators’ recovery actions, bankruptcy proceedings, secured creditor rights, priority issues and proofs of debt.
Karen also advises a number of national banks in relation to the enforcement of residential and commercial securities and unsecured debt recovery, including advising on the ability to enforce security, issuing demands and default notices and conducting court proceedings to obtain judgment for a monetary sum or orders for possession.
Karen is experienced in mediating and negotiating commercial disputes and effectively resolving debt recoveries in a commercial and effective way.
Karen is a versatile and adaptable practitioner, who is able to work effectively on a range of matters both large and small in all areas of commercial litigation. She has excellent communication skills and prides herself on her ability to work through complex issues and factual scenarios and formulate advice based on legal principles and commercial realities.
- Ongoing enforcement for major Australian banks of residential and commercial securities involving real and personal property following acts of default by customers including the customer’s insolvency.
- Advising a major bank in relation to high volume debt recovery against borrowers who invested in managed investment schemes and pursuing claims in the Magistrates’, District and Supreme Courts.
- Bankruptcy and winding up proceedings and associated applications.
- Advising liquidators on voidable transaction and insolvent trading claims and pursuing claims.
- Assisting in the conduct of the audit negligence claim brought by the Receivers and Managers of Harris Scarfe against its former auditors.
- Advising the Receivers and Managers of Harris Scarfe in relation to various insolvency issues.