Kym is the Global Head of our Energy and Resources group. Drawing on over 30 years’ experience as a corporate lawyer, Kym has developed a solid reputation for achieving the best commercial outcomes for clients. Kym’s practice, while corporate in nature, has a strong emphasis in the energy and resources, and industrial sectors.
Kym has been involved in some of the more significant energy and resources projects in the Australasia-Pacific region. He has substantial experience in the emerging economies of South East Asia, as well as experience in Africa, the US and South America.
Kym regularly advises on capital raisings including IPOs and listings on foreign stock exchanges, takeovers, reconstructions, complex contractual agreements including JVAs, JOAs and alliances, mergers and acquisitions, directors’ duties and corporate governance issues. Kym has also been involved in numerous reverse takeovers and backdoor listings, including those involving multiple jurisdictions.
He is named as a leading corporate and M&A lawyer in 2013 edition of the Asia Pacific Legal 500. Kym is also ranked as a leading energy and resources lawyer in the 2013 edition of the Chambers Asia Pacific. One client praised Kym as "one of the best lawyers I know," highlighting his "good range of experience and practical application of the law." Another notes that he is "very articulate and well versed in the relevant legislation and provides good strategic advice."
Advising Metminco Limited on its US$40 million institutional placing of shares on the ASX and AIM, capital raisings, and the 100% acquisition of assets in Chile and Peru.
Advising Anchor Resources on its hostile takeover. Kym and team acted as target’s counsel in respect to an off-market bid for all of the issued shares of Anchor Resources by China Shandong Jinshundu Group.
Representing Inpex Corporation (formerly Teikoku Oil) on its oil and gas exploration activities in the Timor Sea including PRRT, environmental management, spill contingency plans and rig hire, wire logging and all associated agreement.
- Acting for Austex Oil on its Mississippi Lime Project in the USA.
- Advising stakeholder interests and negotiating commercial arrangements with BHP Billiton on the expansion of Olympic Dam uranium/copper mine.
- Advising Blackthorn Resources on potential expansion of its Perkoa Zinc Project in Burkino Faso, off-take agreement and $10 million placement to Glencore International AG.
- Advised Platsearch NL on a proposed dual listing on the Catalist board of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Ltd (SGX) and capital raising of approximately $20 million (not proceeded with).
- Advised Mitsui Matsushima Australia on project financing for its Australian coal interests, sale of certain projects to Xstrata and international marketing and sales arrangements.
- Advising Falcon Oil & Gas Australia on its acquisition of petroleum titles, A$50m capital raising and farm-out to Hess Corporation.
- Representing CBH Resources Limited on life of mine sale of silver to Coeur D'Alene, and on its Ilura mine acquisition, placement and rights issue (share and convertible note), and project financing.
- Advising Bowen Energy on its joint venture negotiation with Bhushan Steel, takeover defence and takeover panel hearings.