Renowned for her technical excellence and attention to detail in a variety of complex commercial disputes and risk management matters, Vanessa is one of our most highly regarded lawyers.
Her legal acumen and considered, commercial approach to often intractable problems, is focussed on supporting her clients to manage a wide range of contractual, construction and manufacturing, environmental, trade practices, insurance and intellectual property issues.
With more than 15 years’ experience in litigation, dispute resolution and risk management, she has acted for large ASX listed companies, family businesses and individuals in the litigation and resolution of disputes concerning a broad range of subject matter, in addition to providing advice on regulatory compliance and risk minimisation whether in the context of a dispute or more generally.
- Acted for AAI Limited in a dispute with its insured in the Supreme Court of South Australia regarding indemnity for losses allegedly sustained in the course of construction of a tunnel.
- Acted for a large privately owned manufacturing company in a variety of intellectual property disputes.
- Acting for a local manufacturer and distributor of building products in relation to product liability and competition issues.
- Between 2004 and 2016, Vanessa acted for one of Australia’s largest vertically integrated manufacturing and distribution businesses, providing risk management advice as well as conducting a variety of business disputes arising from the diverse operations of this ASX top 100 company.
- Represented the Liquidators of a construction company in relation to an ongoing Federal Court Action concerning the construction of a mineral sands processing plant.
- Represented a utility owner in its dispute with the Contractor on a large infrastructure project. The dispute was referred to the Dispute Resolution Board under the Contract. The dispute was resolved following a hearing and decision from the DRB.
- Acted for the owner of a pipe-laying barge in a series of related contractual, insurance and trade practices disputes for claims in excess of $47M, the subject of multiple Federal Court proceedings (including its Admiralty Jurisdiction), the High Court of Singapore and various domestic and international arbitrations in connection with the charter of the barge for an offshore gas project in Australia.
- Acted for a consultant to a developer in relation to Federal Court Proceedings arising out of the managed investment scheme for the development of an Adelaide hotel.
- Acted for two US pension funds in the successful enforcement in South Australia of a foreign judgment from the Supreme Court of California and collateral proceedings arising from the fraudulent and misleading conduct of the promoter and seller of financial products, including applying for freezing orders in relation to the Australian assets of the promoter.
- Assisted Karen Thomas in her role as the Manager Appointed by the Law Society of South Australia of the former legal practice of Magarey Farlam Lawyers in the management and winding up of the former legal practice.
- Acted for one of Australia’s largest family owned wineries in relation to a variety of business disputes across Australia including trade mark infringement proceedings in the Federal Court.
- The defence and resolution of Supreme Court proceedings involving the restructure, sale and taxation issues concerning a major professional services practice.
- Advised a waste management company on complex issues in a dispute with the former owner of a waste facility.
- Advised clients in relation to site contamination and remediation issues and disputes.
- The defence of a prosecution by the ACCC pursuant to the Trade Practices Act 1974 concerning discount advertising.