Energy, Resources and Utilities
Secure energy is a cornerstone of economic prosperity. Renewable energy is a future that is happening now. The ever-changing energy and resources environment reflects the Gadens ethos of adaptability – thriving on both executing the fundamentals and exploring new possibilities.
Gadens’ Energy, Resources and Utilities Team has been involved in significant domestic and offshore projects for many years. From securing tenures to asset disposal, production to off-take, infrastructure development to operations, structuring to financing, and regulatory advice to advising the regulators, Gadens understands industry challenges and project lifecycles.
Gadens is experienced in advising clients in the sector across the entire energy value chain, including a range of oil and gas producers, mining companies, renewable energy generators, major utility infrastructure owners, retail electricity providers and embedded network operators. From this experience, we can effectively navigate even the most complex commercial arrangements and regulatory environments, allowing us to consistently provide comprehensive, but cost-effective, advice.
Our team is equipped to assist with all aspects of any matter in the energy and resources sector, no matter how big or small, and has experience acting for both government and private sector clients. Examples of our services include:
- Regulatory compliance: Our team has advised clients on a wide variety of regulatory matters including compliance with both national and state retail electricity law, compliance with national gas law, accessing and complying with exemptions to operate and sell through an embedded network, solar panel safety and compliance, compliance with competition and consumer law, compliance with financial services law, and compliance with regulations related to the trading of renewable energy derivatives.
- Commercial: Our team frequently advises on a range of commercial matters including exploration, production and royalty arrangements, farm-in agreements, off-take agreements, sales agreements, asset purchases, power purchase agreements, embedded network supply and service terms, bulk hot water arrangements, branding and marketing advice, retail terms and conditions, and agreements for the development, regulation and operation of pipelines, processing facilities and power stations.
- Corporate: We act for a range of clients in relation to capital raisings, joint ventures, acquisitions, divestments, takeovers and restructures and provide clients with strategic advice on corporate governance issues and listing rule compliance.
- Property and construction: We have extensive experience acting for clients in relation to project approvals, planning and environment law, infrastructure and construction agreements, Native title and cultural heritage, and health, safety and environmental incidents.
- Renewables: We regularly advise clients in the renewable energy sector, having advised on a range of wind farm, solar and waste-to-energy projects, including in relation to funding, project feasibility, technology licensing, commercialisation, off-take, construction and operation.
- Dispute resolution: We have a proven track record of providing strategic advice and securing positive outcomes for clients in a range of litigious disputes including proceedings, negotiations, arbitration and mediation.