Ivan joined Gadens Melbourne in 2004 and practises in commercial litigation, insolvency, banking and finance litigation. Ivan has particular experience conducting and advising on large scale commercial litigation for large corporate entities, receivers, administrators, liquidators, government bodies and small business enterprises.
Ivan was nominated by his peers as a "Best Lawyer" in the 2017 Best Lawyers Awards in the area of Banking and Finance Law.
- Acted for the non-executive directors of Centro in the claim brought against them by ASIC as well as in the associated Class Actions.
- Acted for the Holland based shareholders of a Nigerian telecommunications company with respect to derivative proceedings in the Supreme Court of Queensland against the Nigerian company’s former directors.
- Acted for an Australian supplier of aluminium tubing in a dispute with suppliers and sub-contractors in South Korea and New Zealand.
- Advising property developers on disputes involving contracts for the sale of land.
- Acting for individual clients on applications for adverse possession.
- Acted for individual clients in litigation involving the Australian Taxation Office on challenging tax assessments and directors’ penalty notices.
- Acted for the deed administrators of the Newmont Yandal Group of Companies in a dispute before the Supreme Court of New South Wales against creditors who sought to challenge the deed of company arrangement.
- Acted for Ferrier Hodgson (who were appointed as receivers over a company) in a large Supreme Court litigation involving in a complex shareholder dispute preventing the realisation of the company's assets
- Acted for the administrators of Midas Australia in respect to a deed of company arrangement and franchise issues.
- Acted for the receivers and managers of Evans & Tate in the administration of the receivership, including dealing with various landlords and retention of title claims.
- Advised administrators, liquidators and receivers on the management of insolvent companies.
- Acted for various creditors liquidators in respect of unfair preference claims under the Corporations Act.
- Assisted liquidators in conducting public examinations of directors.
- Acted for liquidators and deed administrators in court applications for the approval of their remuneration.
Banking and finance litigation
- Acted for various financial institutions including Westpac Banking Corporation in security enforcement proceedings.
- Acting for various corporations and individuals in debt recovery matters.
- Provided advice on various aspects of competition and consumer law including misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct.
- Advised on the preparation of various contracts for sale.
- Provided advice on various aspects of the Corporations Law and contractual disputes.