Caroline specialises in the areas of financial services and funds management law. Having practised in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, Caroline has a broad range of global regulatory, corporate and commercial experience.
Caroline principally advises on financial regulatory law, including a wide range of Chapter 7 and other regulatory and compliance matters, such as:
- requirements for, and exemptions from, the need for an AFSL or ACL
- AFSL and ACL applications, relief applications, compliance programs and training
- proposed digital assets, including stablecoins and NFT products
- carbon credit arrangements
- payment system regulation and compliance, including payment processing, digital wallets and other non-cash payment products
- product disclosure and advertising, including design and distribution obligations
- breach reporting
- unfair contract terms
- AML/CTF programs and related compliance, including training
- general corporate and governance matters
Caroline also advises on the establishment of retail and wholesale managed investment schemes in a range of industries (property, income, carbon credits, offshore Private Equity) and the preparation of offer documents for fund managers and public offer superannuation funds.
She has significant experience in reviewing and negotiating legal and commercial fund terms for clients wishing to invest in, re-evaluate and exit private equity/venture capital funds in a variety of foreign jurisdictions.
Caroline is recognised by clients for having an innovative and outcome-focused mindset and she enjoys collaborating with clients, regulators and colleagues to achieve their objectives.
Specific experience examples
- Acting for one of Australia’s largest banks on financial regulatory due diligence aspects of prospective purchase of two leading financial services companies.
- Acting for a SME business bank on its AFSL application, deposit offerings and other regulatory requirements.
- Acting for several non-bank lenders and mortgage brokers on their ACL applications.
- Acting for a fund manager on the establishment of a wholesale managed investment scheme investing in carbon credit opportunities
- Acting for an Australian fund manager on the establishment of a registered fractional property managed investment scheme.