Cassie has experience across a broad range of commercial litigation matters with a special focus on Corporations Act and Bankruptcy Act claims.
She regularly assists in matters in the Supreme and Federal Courts. Having worked on matters that have set a number of precedents and influential decisions, Cassie is a proactive and determined commercial litigation and insolvency lawyer and is able to develop unique solutions to obtain the best outcomes for her clients.
Liquidators, directors, shareholders, receivers, administrators, debtors, creditors, trustees, etc regularly seek advice from Cassie.
Cassie is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria and the Women in Insolvency and Reconstruction Victoria. In addition to these affiliations, she is a regular presenter at Leo Cussens having presented on developments in the doctrine of penalties and the Personal Property Securities Act.
Cassie’s recent matters include:
- Advising a group of shareholders in respect of the Virgin Airlines administration.
- Advising receivers on various matters including termination of licence agreement, privity of contract and priority of creditors pursuant to the Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth).
- Successfully sought the appointment of a liquidator as receiver of trust assets.
- Successfully applied for approval pursuant to s447(2B) of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) for the approval of a liquidator to enter into an agreement which would run for more than three months.
- Advising a discharged bankrupt in respect of the former trustee’s rights as against future assets.
- Advising a New Zealand company in respect of liquidation of their Australian child company and the resultant claims against the parent company raised by the liquidator, including the process of having the company placed into liquidation in both the Australian and New Zealand jurisdictions.
- Advising a receiver in respect of whether or not they are bound by a Shareholders Agreement and what rights they have pursuant to the Shareholders Agreement.
- Examinations of relevant parties pursuant to s596A, s596B and 597(9) of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) on behalf of a receiver.
- Issuing preference claims against national and international corporations seeking the return of substantial funds.
Key matters Cassie has been involved in include:
- Australian Securities and Investment Commission v Franklin (liquidator), in the matter of Walton Construction Pty Ltd (in liq)  FCA 68; and Australian Securities and Investments Commission v Franklin (liquidator), in the matter of Walton Constructions Pty Ltd  FCAFC 85.
- Vigliaroni v CPS Investment Holdings Pty Ltd (2009) 74 ACSR 282 and the other related proceedings.
- Sevior v Morgan  VSC 480.
- Re Brighter Directions Pty Ltd  VSC 287.