Daniel Middleton is a Partner in our Property, Construction & Planning Group, specialising in construction. Daniel’s experience includes drafting and negotiating contracts for the design, construction and procurement of major projects and the subsequent operation, maintenance, leasing and sale of those assets.
Daniel’s clients include a mix of developers, owners, contractors, suppliers, tenants and public sector entities including government departments and universities. He has gained a wide range of specialist projects and construction law experience working in Australia, the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
Daniel is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria and the Society of Construction Law of Australia.
Specific experience examples
- Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield Services) – Advised in relation to its bids (as O&M subcontractor) for the East West Link Tollroad PPP Project in Melbourne (as part of the shortlisted but unsuccessful Inner Link Group consortium) and Toowoomba Second Range Crossing Tollroad PPP Project in Queensland (as part of the successful Nexus consortium).
- Caterpillar (Australia) – Advised in relation to a number of equipment supply, construction and EPC contracts, pass through subcontracts and related issues for Australian mining projects.
- Cbus Property – Acting for in relation to the construction of several large-scale residential and commercial developments including:
- Collins Arch, an iconic mixed use precinct comprising a 5 Star Hotel sold off the plan to the Hotel Operator’s specifications, premium commercial office space of 49,000 m2 NLA, 210 luxury residential apartments, retail, basement including parking and loading areas and 2,000 m2 public realm.
- 35 Spring Street, Melbourne, a $350 million luxury commercial and residential tower development comprising 43 levels of 235 high quality luxury residential apartments with associated car parking, ground level restaurant and a facilities level for building residents including a gymnasium and pool.
- Holme Apartments in Collingwood, Assembly Apartments in North Melbourne, the Volaire Apartments in West Melbourne, The Warleigh in Brighton, and 4 Cromwell Street in South Yarra.
- Civic Nexus – Advised on the renegotiation of the project agreements for the Southern Cross Station PPP project in Melbourne and the drafting and negotiation of various O&M subcontracts.
- Donald Cant Watts Corke – Advised in relation to its roles as Independent Certifier for the New Royal Adelaide Hospital PPP Project, Southern Cross University Hospital PPP Project, Eastern Goldfields Regional Prison PPP Project and the Ararat Prison PPP Project.
- Geelong Football Club – Advised in relation to the redevelopment of Simonds Stadium, Geelong.
- Hengyi Australia – Advised on the design and construction of a 69 level, 600+ apartment project at 450 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, as well as the 1,000+ “Swanston Central” apartment project currently under construction.
- Industry Funds Management – Advised our client and its consortium members on its tender for the Mindarie Resource Recovery PPP Project in Western Australia.
- Monash University – Advised in respect of its Green Chemical Futures Project and 1,000 bed student accommodation project.
- Nacap Australia – Advised in relation to the transfer pipeline and power components of the Victorian Desalination PPP Project.
- Orion International Group – Advised on the construction documentation for the Nelson Bourke Apartment Project and another confidential mixed use development project in Box Hill.
- Roger Stirk Harbour + Partners – Advised in relation its role as Executive Architect with Cross Yarra Partnership in relation the Metro Tunnel Project – Tunnel and Stations PPP.
- Salvo Property Group – Advised in relation to the construction of several major apartment projects.
- South East Water – Advised in respect of several alliance projects and the collaborative procurement of its capital and maintenance works over its five year Water Plan (valued at in excess of $800 million).
- Southern Cross Station Authority – Advised on operational issues relating to the administration of the Southern Cross Station PPP concession agreement and the related commercial development above a live rail environment.
- Suez Environment – Advised in relation its bid for a USD $800m DBOM Contract for a new waste sludge treatment project in Hong Kong.
- University of Melbourne – Advised in relation to several iconic building projects, including the Melbourne Brain Centre, Peter Doherty Institute Project and Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning Project.
- University of Melbourne, La Trobe University and Monash University – Advised on institutional building projects valued in excess of $1bn, including several procured under fast-track, ECI and collaborative procurement models.
- Various Project Sponsors – Advised in relation to EPC and O&M contracts for project financed utility scale renewable energy projects, including the Kidston Solar Farm and Pumped Hydro Project, Longreach Solar Farm, Oakey 1 + 2 Solar Farms, Bannerton Solar Farm and Port Augusta Renewable Energy Park Project.