Doug specialises in corporate and institutional banking and finance. He advises banks and other financial institutions, non-bank lenders, listed and unlisted corporate borrowers, fund managers and other participants in financing transactions.
Clients engage Doug for his expertise in corporate finance, acquisition finance, debt capital markets, real estate financing and mezzanine and subordinated debt financing. He advises on both domestic and cross border transactions.
Doug’s clients operate in various industries including banking, superannuation, financial and business services, real estate, healthcare, aged care and retirement living, manufacturing and funds management.
His expertise is recognised in AsiaLaw (distinguished practitioner 2020, 2021), IFLR1000 (highly regarded lawyer 2020, 2021) and Doyle’s Guide (recommended banking & finance lawyer 2020).
- Advised Computershare on the US$375 million underwritten debt financing with Goldman Sachs for its US$750 million acquisition of Wells Fargo’s US Corporate Trust Services business, including cross border financing aspects in the US, UK and Canada.
- Advised Cbus Property on the sustainability-linked term-debt financing by Clean Energy Finance Corporation of the landmark Melbourne CBD development known as Collins Arch compromising 198 apartments, an office and retail component and a 294 room hotel.
- Advised Commonwealth Bank of Australia on the acquisition financing of Boral’s Australian softwood and hardwood timber business by 31st Century Forests Group. The $64.5m acquisition being a major milestone in the growth and development of the 31st Century Forests.
- Acting for an offshore private equity financier on the financing of an agricultural business and a retirement village business in Australia.
- Advised PDG Corporation on the $170 million construction financing with National Australia Bank Limited for the QVM Munro site in the Queen Victoria Market Precinct, including negotiating multiparty arrangements with Mirvac, Hamilton Marino, City of Melbourne and Veriu.
- Acting for a major bank on the financing of a chain of well-known hospitality venues in Australia, including complex franchise and offshore ownership aspects.