Kate specialises in corporate and regulatory matters particularly in connection with corporate transactions, regulatory reviews, enforcement and investigations. Kate has experience in a range of corporate commercial matters including acquisitions by scheme of arrangement, contested takeovers, restructuring, tax, and securities class actions.
Kate’s client base includes global investment and major retail banks, listed and unlisted funds, asset managers, insurers, global audit and accounting firms, ASX100 organisations and private equity firms.
Kate has been ranked in Best Lawyers in the categories of Regulatory Practice, Financial Institutions, Tax & Accounting Law, Class Actions, and ADR & Litigation.
Kate’s experience includes:
- Chair and Convenor of the ASIC Enforcement Review Taskforce which resulted in major reforms of ASIC’s investigative and enforcement powers in 2018-2020
- Chair and Convenor of the Federal Government expert panel on corporate whistleblowing which resulted in substantial enhancements of whistleblowing laws in 2019
- General Counsel and company secretary to the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority (FASEA), which is responsible for the development and enforcement of professional standards in the financial services sector
- Leading the Federal Government’s project team responsible for the establishment of the Asia Region Funds Passport with New Zealand, Japan, Korea and Thailand which commenced in February 2019
- Chief legal adviser, ASX Investigations & Enforcement, and ASX advocate in contested disciplinary actions against market participants for listing and market rule breaches, and related appeals
- Consultant to iSelect Ltd on competition law review project and later General Counsel
- Adviser to NSW Environment Protection Authority on risk scoping and management review project
- Adviser to Free TV Australia Pty Ltd on a constitutional and regulatory issues project
- Consultant to NAB Ltd on implementation of ASIC undertaking re foreign currency trading project
- Policy adviser to The Treasury (Federal), including project team leader on the development of a corporate collective investment vehicle and beneficial ownership reforms, and periodic adviser to project teams for crowd sourced equity regulation, the review of external financial services dispute resolution and complaints framework, and the bank executive accountability and responsibility regime (BEAR)
- Secretariat head, ASIC Capability Review
- Adviser to Mwave on private equity acquisitions
- Adviser to Listed Reserve on establishment of an ASX listed cyber securities funds
- Project team leader to Royal Commission into Institutional Child Sexual Abuse responsible for the development of a number of key case studies, and for public Commission hearings in Adelaide
Current and previous Pro Bono engagements:
- Chairman of the Board of Biennale of Sydney Ltd, a non-profit organisation responsible for the biennial staging of a diverse program of international visual and performing arts in Sydney and elsewhere
- Founding director of ICLC Foundation Ltd established to garner private support for the Sydney Inner City Legal Centre, a non-profit community legal service
- Director of the Refugee Advice & Casework Service which provides legal advocacy services for refugees and asylum seekers