Michael is a Partner in our Corporate Team specialising in mergers & acquisitions and equity capital markets. Michael advises on a range of corporate and commercial matters, including the ASX Listing Rules, Corporations Act, commercial contracts, employee share ownership plans and securities law matters.
Michael has a broad range of experience advising and negotiating corporate and commercial transactions, including regulated and unregulated mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, corporate restructures, cross jurisdictional listing requirements, directors’ duties, hybrid securities offerings, initial public offerings, placements, rights issues, shareholders’ agreements, underwriting agreements and unregulated share offers. He has also been involved in intellectual property licensing and royalties.
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE EXAMPLES
MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
- Kathmandu – Advising on its acquisition of Rip Curl ($350 million).
- ICS Industries – Advising vendor shareholders on the sale of ICS Industries to EnerSys Inc (NYSE code: ENS) (in excess of $50 million).
- Confidential client – Advising vendor shareholders on structuring and implementation of a sale offer from Accel-KKR ($120 million).
- Rinnai Corporation – Advising on Rinnai Corporation’s bid and acquisition of two complimentary businesses ($80 million).
- Advertising company – Advising a large advertising company on acquisition of two complimentary businesses (in excess of $70 million).
- The Citadel Group – Advising on its acquisition of PJA Solutions ($40 – $60 million).
- The Citadel Group – Advising on its acquisition of Kapish Services ($14 – $17.5 million).
- Gandel Metals – Advising on its $15 million takeover bid for Alliance Resources.
- Aspen Funds Management – Advising on the sale of a 50% interest in the Franklin Street Property Trust ($30 million).
- Australian Renewable Fuels – Takeover of Biodiesel Producers ($30 million).
- Acting for a number of shareholders in a large ASX listed company in connection with a sale of shares by way of tender.
- Steller – Advising on its $20 million of Clarinda Manor.
- Sasak Resources – Merger with ASX listed company MRG Metals.
- Western Coal Corp – Advising on requirements for scrip bid takeovers in Australia in connection with its sale to Walter Energy Inc (OTCMKTS: WLTGQ) ($3.3 billion).
EQUITY CAPITAL MARKETS & CAPITAL RAISING
- Kathmandu – Advising on its $140 million AREO in connection with its acquisition of Rip Curl.
- The Citadel Group – Advising on its IPO and underwriting arrangements ($50 million).
- Firstwave Technology – Backdoor listing on ASX (through existing listed entity) and capital raise.
- Kathmandu – Advising on its fully underwritten NZD$40 million SPP and placement.
- Paradigm Metals – Backdoor listing of IODM on ASX.
- Beacon Lighting – Advising the exiting shareholder on the sale of its shares pursuant to an IPO ($60 million).
- Medibio – Numerous capital raisings involving both convertible notes and shares.
- Animoca Brands – Underwritten accelerated non-renounceable rights issue.
- Buymyplace.com – Underwritten non-renounceable rights issue.
- Animoca Brands – Institutional placement and share purchase plan.
- Australian Renewable Fuels – Acting on its pro-rata rights issues and underwriting agreements.
- Wasabi Energy – Acting on its AIM listing, placements, pro-rata rights issue and underwriting agreements.
- Advising debenture issuers on prospectus requirements under the Corporations Act.
- Advising numerous start-up companies and small businesses on initial and seed round capital raisings.
- Redomiciliation of Synergy Metals to Bermuda by way of a scheme of arrangement and short form prospectus in connection with listed options.
- Dromana Estate Limited – Advising on corporate restructure through an in specie distribution of shares and compliance listing on ASX.
- Steller – Advising on its joint venture arrangements with APN Property Group in connection with the APN Steller Development Fund ($20 million).