Michael is a Partner in our Corporate Team specialising in mergers & acquisitions and equity capital markets. Michael advises on a range of corporate and commercial matters, including the ASX Listing Rules, Corporations Act, commercial contracts, joint ventures, employee share ownership plans and securities law matters.
Clients enjoy working with Michael because of the commercial results driven approach that he brings to technical legal and regulatory matters and his ability to manage large projects on time and within budget.
Michael advises both domestic and international clients in number of industries, including IT consulting and software products, financial services, funds management, retail energy, health, property, manufacturing and retail.
Michael has a broad range of experience advising and negotiating corporate and commercial transactions, including regulated and unregulated mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, corporate restructures, cross jurisdictional transactions, directors’ duties, hybrid securities offerings, initial public offers, secondary offers, shareholders’ agreements, underwriting agreements and unregulated share offers.
Specific experience examples
Mergers & acquisitions
- Advising Kathmandu on its acquisition of Rip Curl (A$350m).
- Advising vendor shareholders on the sale of ICS Industries to EnerSys Inc (NYSE code: ENS) (in excess of A$50m).
- Advising the vendor shareholders of a confidential client on structuring and implementation of a sale offer from Accel-KKR (A$120m).
- Advising on Rinnai Corporation’s bid and acquisition of two complimentary businesses (A$80m).
- Advising a large advertising company on acquisition of two complimentary businesses (in excess of A$70m).
- Advising The Citadel Group on its acquisition of PJA Solutions (A$40 – A$60m).
- Advising Gandel Metals on its A$15m takeover bid for Alliance Resources.
- Advising Australian Renewable Fuels on its takeover of Biodiesel Producers (A$30m).
- Advising Sasak Resources on its merger with ASX listed company MRG Metals.
Equity capital markets & capital raising
- Advising Kathmandu on matters including its A$140m AREO in connection with its acquisition of Rip Curl; and its fully underwritten NZ$40m SPP and placement.
- Advising The Citadel Group on its IPO and underwriting arrangements (A$50m).
- Advising Firstwave Technology on its backdoor listing on ASX (through existing listed entity) and capital raise.
- Advising Paradigm Metals on its backdoor listing of IODM on ASX.
- Advising Beacon Lighting’s exiting shareholder on the sale of its shares pursuant to an IPO (A$60m).
- Advising Medibio on numerous capital raisings involving both convertible notes and shares.
- Advising Animoca Brands on numerous capital raisings including an underwritten accelerated non-renounceable rights issue, placement and share purchase plan.
- Advising debenture issuers on prospectus requirements under the Corporations Act.
- Advising numerous start-up companies and small businesses on initial and seed round capital raisings.
- Advising on a redomiciliation of Synergy Metals to Bermuda by way of a scheme of arrangement and short form prospectus in connection with listed options.
- Advising Dromana Estate Limited on a corporate restructure through an in specie distribution of shares and compliance listing on ASX.