Kathy is a Partner in our Disputes Group. Kathy specialises in commercial litigation and dispute resolution and corporate insolvency, and has extensive experience in advising in Australia’s biggest corporate disputes, investigations and collapses.
Kathy is a specialist in corporate and commercial litigation and dispute resolution, working closely with her clients to achieve timely and practical outcomes utilising a range of formal and alternative dispute resolution techniques. She is highly regarded for her substantial experience in regulatory and insolvency matters.
Kathy’s expertise has been called upon in many of Australia’s major corporate disputes, collapses and investigations, acting for private sector and Government clients, as well as professional advisers, insolvency practitioners, directors and individuals.
Kathy is also passionate about Gadens’ Corporate Social Responsibility framework and is an advocate for pro bono and community work.
Specific experience examples
- Acting for a syndicate of Australian and international banks, in defending and successfully settling a significant claim brought by the liquidator of ABC Learning Centres, and working in cooperation with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) in respect of its investigations arising out of the liquidation of ABC Learning Centres.
- Advising in connection with investigations conducted by ASIC in a number of regulated areas, including reporting concerns to ASIC, and responding to notices and representing numerous organisations and individuals in connection with investigations by ASIC into alleged breaches of various Corporations Act provisions.
- Advising in connection with investigations conducted by liquidators and claims brought by or available to liquidators.
- Advising and acting on numerous applications by trustees under the Trustees Act, and liquidators under the Corporations Act to the court for advice, directions and approval.
- Advising and acting for clients in respect of various aspects of the funded litigation and class actions process, including challenges to litigation funding agreements, negotiation of and entry into litigation funding agreements, consideration as to whether to participate in a class action, defending a funded class action, consideration of settlement options.
- Advising and acting on a number of occasions to obtain ex parte and urgent injunctions and freezing orders.
- Acting for a financial services organisation in respect of claims being heard by the Financial Ombudsman Service and Credit and Investments Ombudsman.
- Acting (for plaintiffs and defendants) on a number of professional negligence claims, including claims against legal advisers, auditors and valuers.
- Advising professional bodies on their powers, obligations and procedures for dealing with member complaints and disciplinary actions, and acting on behalf of professional bodies in responding to complaints and conducting disciplinary hearings.
- Representing professional clients before disciplinary boards.
- Advising and acting for a superfund company in respect of a dispute arising out of the appointment of Receivers and Liquidators to the promoter, former responsible entity and substantial unitholder of a wholesale property fund in respect of which the superfund company was a major unitholder.