Hazel advises clients on all aspects of intellectual property, from brand protection to enforcement as well as on privacy, technology and Australian Consumer Law issues.
Hazel’s experience, gained through advising on intellectual property and privacy issues in Australia and Ireland, has provided her with a comprehensive understanding of the commercial needs of her clients in a range of jurisdictions and particularly in cross border matters.
She acts for clients in a range of industries such as food and beverage, beauty, fashion, health, med tech, financial services and technology, from start-ups to ASX listed companies and multinationals.
Hazel partners with her clients to ensure that they can identify and secure their intellectual property rights and to protect their intellectual property rights from infringement. Privacy is becoming increasingly important for businesses in all sectors and Hazel advises on privacy compliance issues, privacy in commercial transactions and data breaches.
Hazel has been recommended for Intellectual Property for many years in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific, including in the 2021 edition. She has also been recognised by WTR 1000 in the area of Prosecution and Strategy since 2021.
Areas of expertise
- Brand protection and enforcement, including trade mark prosecution, opposition, infringement and clearance advice.
- Management of extensive trade mark portfolios in Australia and overseas.
- Intellectual property commercialisation, including advising on complex licensing and royalty arrangements.
- Intellectual property disputes – trade marks, copyright, designs, passing off and Australian Consumer Law – including before the Federal Court of Australia and IP Australia.
- Intellectual property aspects of commercial transactions, including due diligence and intellectual property restructuring.
- Privacy matters, including advising on privacy regulatory compliance, data breach notifications, privacy impact assessments and contractual privacy issues.
- Advertising compliance reviews and product labelling advice.
Specific experience examples
- 3P Learning – Advising on intellectual property aspects of the acquisition of 100% of Blake eLearning in exchange for the issue of 137 million 3PL shares to the owners of Blake eLearning ($185 million).
- DKSH Group – advising on intellectual property aspects of a number of transactions, including the acquisitions of Hahn Healthcare, SACOA and CROSSMARK.
- Advising a global beauty group on intellectual property, including managing its global trade mark portfolio and advising on commercialisation and enforcement issues.
- Advising a leading Australian med tech company on the protection of intellectual property and commercialisation in respect of various agreements with a number of third parties relating to medical imaging.
- Acting for a global fashion e-commerce business on intellectual property enforcement matters.
- Successfully representing a major Australian multi brand automotive company in trade mark opposition proceedings before IP Australia.
- Advising a leading Australian food producer on a range of intellectual property contentious and non-contentious matters, including successfully acting in Federal Court injunction proceedings.
- Advising a market leading, plant based food company on a range of licensing and assignment agreements relating to its intellectual property as part of a commercial transaction.
- Assisting an innovative technology company with intellectual property issues, including trade mark strategy, global prosecution and sponsorship agreements.
- Advising a North American water analysis company on and negotiating the acquisition of certain intellectual property rights, relating to a patented water analysis technology from an Australian entity.
- Advising on privacy due diligence issues with respect to the Australian aspects of an international acquisition by a global company of another multinational company, including reviewing the target’s privacy documentation and due diligence responses and advising on risks.
- Advising a nanosatellite technology company on and drafting privacy documents, including privacy policies and collection notices and advising on GDPR issues.
- Advising an Australian data processor on GDPR related issues, including applicability of GDPR to sub-contractors and certain clauses for inclusion in contracts.
- Advising a global experience management company on privacy and spam issues with respect to a new SMS based product.
- Assisting a large Australian food producer on privacy compliance issues, including pre-employment issues and biometrics.