Brett is a Partner in our Employment Advisory Group with over 20 years’ experience. He is a Law Society of New South Wales accredited specialist in employment and industrial relations law. Brett provides assistance to clients in relation to employment, workplace relations, discrimination and workplace health and safety issues, from both an advisory and contentious perspective. This include assisting clients on all facets of the employment life cycle from pre-employment, through to post-employment issues.
Brett has considerable experience and expertise in relation to cross-border employment arrangements and has assisted many clients to expand both into and out of Australia. Brett is also an expert on all legal aspects of executive remuneration and employee equity and cash incentive arrangements.
Brett is regularly asked to deliver seminars and webinars to industry bodies about developments in workplace laws, and frequently holds briefings for clients on topical workplace relations, employment and safety matters. He regularly contributes to publications updating clients on workplace law developments and as a thought leader on emerging issues.
Brett is recognised by his clients for his impressive technical skills, and a strong ability to relate those skills to the commercial environment.
Specific experience examples
- Advising numerous clients on workplace restructuring and ”right-sizing” a workforce in line with business strategy. This includes identifying the employment and workplace relations risks associated with sales, mergers, outsourcing and restructuring transactions, and developing strategies and solutions to address these risks. Over his career, Brett estimates that he has been asked to assist clients with these issues in relation to over 500 corporate transactions.
- Conducting successful proceedings before the New South Wales Court of Appeal for a global real estate company concerning the termination payment to be paid to a senior executive, resulting in recovery of the majority of the payment from the executive and the recovery of costs.
- Conducting successful proceedings before the New South Wales Court of Appeal for a financial services company in relation to the operation of a loan funded share arrangement and default by a participant, resulting in the requirement for the participant to return 7.5 million shares and to pay full costs.
- Acting for a client facing claims of unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment and victimisation with the applicant seeking compensation in excess of AU$1 million. This matter was settled confidentially for a small fraction of the compensation claimed.
- Employment advice to companies such as Link Market Services, A2 Milk, Silver Heritage and others on their listing on the ASX, including all necessary pre-IPO due diligence, preparation of new employment contracts, and the implementation of new employee equity schemes.
- Advising and assisting numerous multinational / household name and over 40 Australian listed companies in the last 5 years to introduce new employee incentive arrangements or to vary existing arrangements to ensure not only compliance with Australian securities and employment laws and tax efficient outcomes, but to assist those companies to drive appropriate executive behaviours aligned to the overall business strategy.